1. Switch to thicker curtains for added privacy.
2. Let neighbors you trust know you’ll be out of town so they can keep an eye out for suspicious activity. Make sure you have their contact info and they have a way to reach you.
3. Automate lights in your home, either through light timers or smart light switches that can be controlled remotely via smartphone or tablet. My personal recommendation: Phillips Hue4. If you have a landline, turn the phone ringer off, and silence voice message machines.
5. Put a hold on mail deliveries or subscriptions. A package sitting on a front step for days can be a target. You can easily do this online here.
6. Lock vehicles and ensure no garage openers or house keys are left inside overnight. For extra security if you travel use the manual lock on your garage doors.
7. Schedule lawn maintenance as normal to give the illusion that you’re home. HomeAdvisor: Snow Removal recommendations.
8. Check with your neighborhood watch or local police station to see if your home can be added to a vacant house list. Most agencies will have a officer drop by and make sure the home is secure.
9. Add security cameras to your home’s interior and exterior. My personal recommendation: Nest
10. Install a video doorbell or motion detector to keep an eye on any comings and goings. My personal recommendation: Ring Doorbell
If you plan to travel for an extended stay somewhere I would be happy to recommend a property management company to take care of your property while you are away. Call/text me today to discuss your needs.